Wednesday, August 19, 2009

September's Book

Last night was the book selection night. This is always fun and everyone brings there ideas for the year. We read six books a year together and there are always surprises. The selections this year are:

September: MRS.DALLOWAY-Virginia Woolf

November: CASE HISTORIES-Kate Atkinson

January: POSSESSION- A.S. Byatt

February:OLIVE KITTERIDGE-Elizabeth Strout

March: WHEN A CROCODILE EATS THE SUN- Peter Godwin

May: ADMISSION-Jean Korelitz

I am really happy we are starting with Virginia Woolf. I have never read her work really. I have seen THE HOURS and a film of Mrs Dalloway, but they are only treatments. Many other books were offered though and some really caught my attention:

MUDBOUND-Hillary Jordan: CUTTING FOR STONE-Abraham Verghese: THE HELP-Kathryn Stockett...
I have to stop right here and say that I wanted to read this book so badly I used an audiobook credit today and am currently reading/listening to it. It is really good and I think I like the listening, because there are at least three different actresses doing the voices-YUMMY!

NETHERLAND:Joseph O'Neill and THE LOST: Daniel Mendelsohn.

It is such a pleasurable experience to immerse oneself in the pleasure of a well-told story. You really don't want to come out at all and you want it to go on and on.
This kind of pleasure needs to be shared.

2 comments:

  1. You always tease me into picking up another book as if I'm not already reading three at a time...what day is it anyway?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just get a good book and get on the Love Train with you to ride all over the world and read:-)

    ReplyDelete